VMware Technical Systems Engineer(1402289)
|Published||May 15, 2023|
Who We Are
Today's exciting business environment is more than that - it's a period of disruption between the pandemic, global business change and internal process complexity. For us to focus on simplicity and the best customer experience, we need great talent and the right skills to be successful. This is now a mantra for our Cisco leadership team and for us.
The Cisco IT team is changing the way we run Cisco's operations by improving the power of technology, the best of business processes and outstanding data insights. Together, we will Reinvent the Cisco experience. Show the world how to Reinvent applications and use the future of the Internet to Showcase the power of Cisco: our people, products, processes, systems, and data. Please join us and make this journey together!
What You'll Do
This position is a Technical Systems Engineer who can design, install, configure, and solve very large and complex VMware environments. You will work in a team of very versatile engineers that support an extremely large VMware environment in Cisco IT.
You will need to have solid skills in following areas:
* Significant understanding of VMware environments at large scale
* Professional level knowledge in VMware networking and storage technologies
* VMware vROPS experience for monitoring and capacity management
* Expert level knowledge of compute hardware and operating systems
* Ability to work multi-functionally with peer technology teams
* Experience in fault analysis, solve, and working with VMware
* Improve our operational practices to minimize service disruptions
* Experience with Incident and Problem Management
* Ability to listen to clients and propose and deliver solutions to their needs
* Knowledge and experience working in an Agile operating model.
* Preferred experience working with Cisco Unified Compute System blades, fabric interconnects, and rack servers
Who You'll Work With
As part of the Digital Enterprise Solutions team, you will work with our platform VMware team. This is a small team of highly motivated individuals running our VMware platforms. We move at a fast pace and are passionate about automation. Giving back and contributing to the Opensource projects we use is encouraged. We have a history of building environments at a large scale and are looking for someone with just as much passion as we have.
Who You Are
You are a success driven VMware Systems Engineer with proven technical skills and who has a passion for technology and working in hard-working teams. You have a proven track record of designing, managing, and solve VMware infrastructure.
* VMware vSphere 6.x and 7.x experience
* VMware VROPS experience for alerts
* Ability to solve VMware ESXi and vSphere at a low level
* Experience with VMware virtual switching and distributed virtual switches
* Experience with upgrading, patching, and maintaining VMware
* Able to identify and fix issues proactively
* Understanding of network basics like routers and switches
* VMware and Linux Certifications a plus
* Experience with VMware automation using Powershell, Ansible, or Python
* Understanding of security including OS hardening, firewalls, iptables, and collaborating with Infosec
* Experience with Agile, Scrum/Kanban and Jira
* Cisco UCS and ACI experience a plus
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an expansive future for all.
We adopt digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we're "old" (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we're also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do - you can't put us in a box!
But "Digital Transformation" is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don't care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That's cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.